homeaboutphotosmy storystore

Thursday, July 19, 2012

to the future

Hiya. I'm Katy. And clearly, I haven't been around here in a while. My apologies! For the most part, I've just been working, reading, and spending time with friends over these past few weeks. I did, however, spend the last week in Memphis, TN for the National Association of Free Will Baptists annual meeting. I know, I know. It doesn't sound exciting or fun, but it was. I got to see a lot of old friends and listen to some really incredible speakers. I had the honor of judging the photography competition. (Grade-school aged kids compete all week in things like Bible Tic Tac Toe, Piano, Drama, and Art.) In all, I judged 68 photo essays, single photos, and drawings. It was exhausting, but rewarding. These kids have so much talent, and their hearts are truly in the right place.

Some really incredible historic things happened in Memphis, too. For the first time, a woman was elected to a board (International Missions). All of the missionaries that had to come back to the states due to finances were sent home to their respective fields! And, most exciting for me, the school I attend became Welch College. 
Photobucket

For the past 70 years, my school has been known as Free Will Baptist Bible College, or FWBBC (pronounced fwib-ick) for short. However, we had really outgrown that name. We're an accredited school, ranked 35th out of all the colleges in the South, on the President's Honor Roll for community service, listed as one of the best Christian workplaces, and offer over 40 majors. We aren't just a "Bible College" anymore. We have degrees in English, Business, Biology, Music, etc. We're still conservative, Christian school. But we're branching out in areas of academics, and we needed to reflect that.

Another reason the named was changed was for the benefit of our Alumni. The new name will make it easier for graduates to get into graduate schools and missionaries to get into creative access countries. There are no downsides to the change.

Anyway, It was certainly an exciting week. I'm so ready to be back at school.

xo,
Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...